Thursday, March 3, 2016

Adam Johnson faces up to ten years in jail

Philips John | 7:02 AM | |

Adam Johnson faces up to ten years in jail



DISGRACED footballer Adam Johnson was last night facing up to ten years in jail after being convicted of sexually touching a 15-year-old fan.

The former England and Sunderland winger, 28, pictured during fitness tests while playing for Middlesbrough, looked stunned at the guilty verdict at Bradford crown court, as he had expected to get a suspended sentence according to pals.

Judge Jonathan Rose told him: “You must expect to receive a substantial prison sentence.

“These are extremely serious offences. I am going to admit you to bail so you can put your matters in order and say goodbye to your daughter.

“I anticipate the prison sentence means you will not see her for some time.”

here were scuffles between police, photographers and Johnson’s family as he left court.

The former England and Sunderland winger was warned that he faced up to ten years behind bars.

He was repeatedly asked if he wanted to apologise to his traumatised victim but he remained tight-lipped.

In an emotional statement, the girl, who cannot be identified, said: “The last 12 months have been horrendous and there have been times when I’ve wanted to hide away from the world.

“I’ve felt so broken. I hope Adam realises the hurt and damage he has caused.”

The sentencing guidelines for the offence he has been convicted of state the term will be between four and ten years with a starting point of five years. The sentence of five years can be increased by aggravating factors — with the judge likely to take into account the abuse of his position of trust.

During the trial, prosecutor Kate Blackwell QC said: “What has brought the defendant to this courtroom is a sexual desire for (the girl), an excessive arrogance and an unwarranted level of expectation.”

She said Johnson had “abused his revered position in society” and “made a conscious decision to act in a way he knew was morally and legally wrong”.

The girl told the court: “Yes, I do (hate him) because he made me out to be a liar. He told everyone he was innocent and allowed people to cheer him on at matches and called me all the names under the sun.

“I have 100 per cent told the truth. I am not lying about this whatsoever.

“He knew for a fact what he had done to me and he has lied for a year.

“Yes I was a silly little girl but I have had my reputation ruined. I was only trying to protect that in the end."

In a statement given to police, Johnson said: “She was a child and should have been safe in my company.”

He told the jury during his evidence: “I engaged in cyber flirting and I have no excuse. I accept I knew her age.

Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 News Headlines • All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Templates Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger